Saturday, June 09, 2007

The Deadliest Catch

I've been loving this show called "The Deadliest Catch" on the Discovery Channel. If you've never seen it, let me give you quick synopsis of what it's like.

The show consists of 4 to 5 fishing boats all sort of competing to see who catches and brings back to the docks the most Crab. On the show you get an inside look from the Captains quarters and he gives a play by play of what's happening out at sea. The Captain has an underwater GPS system to guide him and give him direction of where the best place is to go looking for crab.

Outside the captains quarters on the boat deck is group of 5 to 6 guys working their tails off to set the traps to capture the Crab. Now let me mention the most intense part of this, they are fishing in the midst of REALLY stormy weather under the worst possible conditions you could ever imagine. It takes a special group of guys to do a job like this. A lot of people have lost their lives in this line of work and a lot of them know how to do nothing else.

Anyhow i tell you about this amazing show because it's served as a spiritual reminder to me of my relationship with GOD. Here you have a team of 5 people who are totally trusting in their captain to lead them to a place where they score on tons of Crab, if the captain get's the location right then they win and get paid mucho bucks, if he gets it wrong they don't get paid at all. I feel like i'm like one of these guys sometimes, i put my trust in man and where and how he's going to lead me, and i buy into it and trust him to take me to places where i can experience success and riches, only to find out that where i'm lead is empty and unfulfilling.

From falling down so many times trusting in other things, i'm realizing that the one i need to trust is GOD in EVERYTHING. I'm learning that in trusting in man, i worry and stress out wondering if things are going to work out. I get caught up in wondering if all that i'm doing is in vain. What's soo great about God is that he's forgiving and loves us no matter where we've been or what we've done. With God, i know that i can trade in my worry for FAITH IN HIM, and i can instead of stress, TRUST, and i can rest to sure that whatever his plans are for my life they're the absolute BEST for me and my family.

Watching the Deadliest Catch is reminding me that I have a captain who needs no GPS to guide me to the best spot, it's reminding that i have a leader who knows and wants what's best for me and my family. It's reminding that no matter how crappy life may get sometimes that there are always better days ahead. This show may run it's course someday and come to an end, but the learnings from it will always stay with me.

3 comments:

Josh(ua) Treece said...

Great show and even better insight, buddy. I love watching it! Have you seen "After the Catch"? It's the captains in a bar telling stories about their trips.

Lauren Faiai said...

THANK GOD for being that Leader you're talking about. One who "doesn't need a GPS". That's an awesome and freeing truth! Thanks for the sigh of relief I just experienced in that reminder. We're in His hands!

I love you.

TK said...

I like that I got to read two posts from you in one week. Keep up the writing Steve it's good stuff.