Thursday, October 12, 2006

Slow snail......

Every once in a while my wife likes to walk to church from our apartment. It's become one of things that she loves to do on a weekly basis. So i woke yesterday morning and said to her " I think i'm going to walk to work today" and she looked at me with surprise in her eyes and said to me "You should, it's really fun" So being pumped up from my wifes pep talk, i went for it. As i was leaving the parking lot of our complex i wanted to listen to some tunes so i scrolled down my ipod nano to find some songs to listen to on my walk. The first song i came across was the song "Indescribable" by Chris Tomlin (one of my favorites of all time) the gals that i sing with would say that i say that about every song. Anyways, i started my journey to work and found myself breathing hard and sweating after the first block, with no extra clothes to change to when i got to work i slowed down and paced myself. It's funny when you slow down how much more you're able to soak in things. After convincing myself that it wasn't a race. I started to enjoy the song i was listening to. I was able to really take in the lyrics of the song and all of creation that was around me. I put the song on repeat and it played like 6 times on my way to work. My walk became more than a walk, it became a time to pray and reflect on the greatness of GOD and how there is so much more around us that we miss because we don't slow down. I was reminded of those "slow down, it's our neighborhood" signs. but more personal like "slow down, it's your life" take time to enjoy it! I think i'm going to trade in the "Lamborghini" way of doing life, for more of a "Toyota Corolla" way. Whatever kind of car, I learned that morning that God has created so much more for me to enjoy. ENJOY IT!

Here is a extra bonus for reading my blog- One of Camerons first books ever is a book called "Slow Snail". His grandma bought it for him about a year ago and it's still his favorite. It's about the hurry of life and how we should slow down and enjoy it.

Slow Snail

Slow snail was in no hurry,
Though all around him bugs would scurry
"You're soo slow- your in the way!"
all the busy bugs would say.
Slow snail stopped, and with a smile said
"Take it easy for a while."
"Why, i could sit here for an hour,
enjoing the beauty of the flower!"
"And anyway," said Slow tapping on his shell....
"If you had your house on you back,you'd be slow as well!"

2 comments:

TK said...

Good reminder. I was laughing at the paradox of the kind of car Rod drives being "the slower way of life."

Becky said...

That was cool. And yes you do say that about every song, but I totally know what you mean.