Wednesday, October 18, 2006

"What's love got to do with it"

There is a show on Channel 4 called "Sam, the cooking guy" It's become one of my favorite shows. I love this guy for a bunch of reasons. First off he's a great cook, second he's different from all of the other cooking shows (he's real), and last but not least the number one reason i dig this guy, he's SIMPLE. He uses frozen chicken (which we have a lot of) and all sorts of basic things that majority of us have in our refridgerator and creates kick-ass meals (oops can i say that in blog land?) Oh well, i'm just calling it like it is.

My good buddy JT loves Everday Italian on FOODTV, i think he likes the host more than the show though. Anyhow my boy loves to cook and he kind of reminds me of Sam. There is this special sauce that he has sent to him every once in a while from his homeland that'll make an ordinary ham and turkey sandwich into one the most desirable things ever. BTW thanks for the sauce.

O.k. O.k. here is my point, growing up I remembered my famaily not having a lot of money. My Father back in the days made 4.55 an hour and that was good. Hold up..... isn't it crazy that our parents worked harder than we do and made less, we work less but make more now. CRAZY huh! Back to my point, we never knew what our meals would look like for supper or what they would taste like. All we knew is that everytime we bit into whatever we were having for dinner we tasted LOVE. My parents figured out a way to create great and tasty meals out of close to nothing. We never knew nor felt any of their frustration for not having enough food or being tight on money. The only thing we knew is that every meal was made with LOVE, the best ingredient of all.

I'm learning that it's not really that important what you put on the table to eat, but what kind of love created that meal. You see, Jack in the box and places like that bail us out and rob us too many times of the experience and creativity that we have in your own kitchens to create meals made with love. I can't wait unitl my boys are able to help me cook. What's better than 1 Faiai in the kitchen, 3 Faiai's in the Kitchen. My son Cameron makes me feel like i'm the best cook in the world because he eats anything and everything i give him. (Almost anything)

Take a night out of your busy week and look deep into those pantrys and set it all out. You'll be amazed at what you can create, cook and make taste good with all of the junk you've had in there for years. Your kids don't have to know what you're making all they need to really know is that you're making it with Love.

Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Great post, Steve! Everytime I go to my mom's house, I see NOTHING in her pantry. Then, all of a sudden, something from nothing! It's really amazing. I don't have those skills, but then again, they had to get creative making next to nothing. I could learn a lot. Not even mentioning all the food I waste!

TK said...

Great post Steve! I need this reminder since often in our house LOVE is spelled out C-H-I-P-O-T-L-E

Kara said...

I want to know when you are going to come over and make your Soy Sauce Chicken?